Just like your body needs exercise to keep it fit and active, your eyes too need some eye exercises to strengthen your eye muscles and improve eyesight. It also helps relaxing your eyes and gives a fresh feel.
Practicing the following eye exercises in a regular routine will benefit you in improving focusing, eye movements, and stimulate the vision center of your brain.
Palm your eyes
Palming helps preparing your eyes for exercise. It relaxes your eyes and mind.
- Take a few deep breathes and relax yourself.
- Rub your palm together until they feel warm.
- Close your eyes and place your palms over the eyes. Make sure your eyes are fully covered, hence no light can enter your eyes though gaps.
- Gaze into the darkness and relax.
- Hold this position for 1-3 minutes and then remove your palms from your eyes.
- Repeat the cycle for three minutes or more.
Message your eyes
Messaging your eyes helps improving blood circulation around your eyes.
- Close your eyes and Squeeze for 2-3 seconds.
- Relax the muscles around the eyes.
- Massage the eyes with your ring fingers round the eye socket in small circular movements – 5 circular movements clockwise then 5 circular movements counter clockwise. Do not press your eyes hard and do not put in too much pressure.
Move your eyes in different directions
Moving your eyes in different directions is a good way to exercise your eyes. You may perform the following directional exercises:
- Horizontal Movements: Keep your head straight and look from side to side – first to the right and then to the left. Repeat it for 10 times.
- Vertical Movements: Keep your head straight and look up and down for 10 times.
- Diagonal movements: Keep your head straight and look down and to the left. Move your eyes diagonally and look up and to the right. Repeat with alternating the directions. Look straight ahead and relax. Repeat the cycle for 5 times.
Perform near and far focusing
Near and far focusing exercise strengthens the eye muscles over time and improve your vision overall.
- Focus on a nearby object (The object must be about 10 inches in front of you).
- Focus on a far-away object (The object must be about 10-20 feet away from you)
- Repeat the cycle for 10 times.
This is an exercise in which you have to constantly adjust the length of your focus. This helps strengthen your eye muscles as well.
- Stretch out your arm with thumbs up position.
- Focus on your thumb.
- Bring the thumb closer to your face slowly, while focusing on it.
- Slowly move your thumb away again until your arm is fully outstretched. Follow the thumb with your eyes while you do it.
- Repeat the cycle for 10 times.
Make a figure eight with your eyes
Practicing the figure “8” controls the physical movement of your eyes. This is a great exercise for your eye muscles to increase their flexibility.
- Imagine a giant figure of eight (8) in front of you about 10 feet away.
- Trace the figure of eight on one way with your eyes.
- Repeat it on the other way.
- Repeat the cycle for 5 times.
Rotate your eyes
Exercising eyes with rotating movements can help loosen and relax extra-ocular eye muscles.
Keep your head straight and look to the left. Then slowly rotate your eyes – 5 times clockwise and 5 times counter clockwise.
Blink your eyes
Blinking is most important eye function to keep your eyes fresh. It also moistens your eyes and reduces eye strain.